Monday, June 27, 2016

CD Review - PreCog - "Are We Lost"

This week's CD review comes to us from one of my favorite new bands:

PreCog


Artist Bio:
Where is the band from?
The band is based out of Nashville, TN. However I (Jason) live in Louisville, KY.  Both Gerald and Raevynn live in Nashville. 
Who are the band members?
The band originally started with Just Gerald and I. We recently started gearing up for live shows and after running through a few practice sets we felt like something was missing. So we started looking for a third. Raevynn tried out two weeks ago and both Gerald and I were blown away. She brings a ton to our music, great harmonies & live strings.
So now PreCog has gone from a Duo to Trio.
Jason Thomas- Vocals/synth/Composer
Gerald Josef- Piano/synth/Composer/Programmer
Raevynn Nicole-Piano/Synth/Violin/Vocals
How long has the band been together?
Gerald and I started PreCog late December 2015. We finished our first album mid-February 2016.  Overall we have been playing together for little over six months. 
Did any members of the band work in other musical projects before this?
I have had a few projects. The most recent being my wife and I’s group Citadel. We recorded several songs together. A few originals and several covers, and it’s actually because of citadel that Gerald messaged me to work together in the first place. Some songs from this project have been adapted for PreCog, and we kept the lovely vocals of my wife Diana Thomas in the tracks as harmonies. You can hear tracks from Citadel here.
https://soundcloud.com/the_citadel
Gerald has been in TONS of music projects.  Gerald's music career began in Detroit in 1985 when he formed his first synth/pop band, Line Society. Gerald worked for Prince with George Clinton on songs for the movie, Graffiti Bridge, in 1989. A year later, Gerald toured Berlin playing with many of his synth heroes. In the early 1990's, Gerald formed Clockhouse and signed to the German label, Crilex. Additionally, he co-authored four No.1 Christian songs with Code of Ethics. In 2013, Gerald co-wrote and produced a five-song EP with Austin Gibbs, entitled With Butter (available on iTunes). In 2014, he formed Turncoat Taylor & Sound Agency, Both 80's synth/pop band.  You can hear several of his tracks from various projects here
Raevynn has worked on solo projects in the past as well as a combination of originals and covers. Raevynn has also played piano and violin for a few other group projects, most notably for indie artist T.F. Pauly
Are any of the members of the band currently in any side projects?
Both Raevynn & I have currently dropped all other group projects to focus on PreCog. However Gerald still writes and records for Sound Agency and Clockhouse. 
Where was the album made?
The album was made in two different Locations, My home Studio where I recorded all the vocals and composed several tracks, As well as Gerald’s Home Studio where he did the same. All the mixing and Mastering was done by Gerald though. He has a gift for making everything sound perfect. 
 Who produced the album?
Gerald and I took care of everything ourselves. 
Who does the songwriting?
It’s a huge mix of us both. Usually I will start on a song and send it over to him to write on and Vice Versa. This allows us to give a general direction of where we want the song to go & the overall feel. Then we usually just let one another run free and see what we can come up with. I have never had a song come back from Gerald that I disliked. We both think so much alike musically that everything seems to always fall into place. 
Who are your musical influences?
I am heavily influenced vocally by groups like Active Child, Aqualung, & Dan Black. The way they bend their notes and also their falsetto sound has always been a huge inspiration for me. Musically I take a lot away from groups like Massive Attack, Little Dragon, Gorillaz, & Depeche Mode.
Gerald is heavily influenced musically by groups such as Depeche Mode, Tori Amos, Peter Gabriel, & Kate Bush. Bringing several aspects from each group out in his composing and playing styles. 
What was the message or goal of this album?
Are we lost is based on personal struggles, whether my own personal problems, or those of others I heard about in one way or another. It’s the journey of facing your inner demons and pushing yourself above, because in some way all of us are lost, but we aren’t lost forever. We always find our way.
For instance, Broken sun is a song about (after a short period of me being the worst person in the world) I began looking back on the relationships it destroyed and the people I hurt, and it felt as if I had destroyed my entire universe. Then making the journey of seeking forgiveness from those I hurt.
Whereas Little Devil is about our inability to make decisions for ourselves that are positive. We are constantly hearing ways that we can improve our life; & grow to be a better person. Yet the more you look at the world, the more you see that we are happily sprinting so far in the other direction. Even though we know it’s going to kill us, we bend, break, and beat our bodies till there is nothing left and once the damage is done we look back and think “Well crap..why did I do any of that?”
Each song tells its own story of internal struggles. 
Do you plan on touring to promote this album?
I think we are interested in possibly a small tour. However Gerald and I both have families to take care of. They have & always will come first.  So we are currently looking at options for touring, but making sure to keep it reasonable so we can also keep up with our familial obligations. 
What are your goals for the future?
We are currently looking at signing with a European label to further promote our music overseas. We do feel like our music would do better over there just seeing to how our style of music is a little more widely accepted. However we do see the beginnings of a movement bringing back genres such as synthpop/synthwave/darkwave/dark electronica, & we would love to be part of that movement!
Where can people buy your music?
They can stop by our band camp https://precog.bandcamp.com and grab our 14 track debut album Are We Lost for 8 dollars. We have had quite a response on there & its been a little overwhelming. Even though its not much both Gerald and I never expected to make more than $0.00 with our music. We want to thank all those whom supported our music these past few months. Also we would like to personally thank you both Onyx & Raven. We truly appreciate the support you have shown us! 

CD Review:

Favorite Songs: Monster, Little Fragments
Usually, when I review a CD for Erosion Factory (on air) I have a long (or sometimes short) piece written out ahead of time because I have trouble at times finding the words I wish to convey about the album I am reviewing.  This did not happen with PreCog's "Are We Lost".  I have listened to this wonderful debut album everyday for two months at least.  Yes, it is THAT amazing!
One need only listen to the combination of synths, melodies and harmonies, to know that Depeche Mode is a huge influence for this group.  Now, some people might not wish to be compared to other artists, but there are times when it just cannot be helped.  Now, this is not to say that PreCog is not completely individualistic.  They truly bring a unique flavor to a genre of music that spans well over three decades. Their perspective on the ongoing theme that we are all monsters on the inside at some point.  It is something that really hits me close to home.
For those that are looking for something a bit more dancey, they will be pleasantly surprised. I would recommend "Dig In" and for those looking for something introspective, "Filthy Pig" and "Monster" are just what the doctor ordered. 
As previously mentioned, the harmonies on every song are brilliantly executed and some of the most beautiful I have heard in a while.  It is almost difficult to believe that these come from Jason, as I have heard is speaking voice and I am pleasantly surprised by the beauty that pours forth from his soul. 
I am very excited to see what Raevynn brings to the PreCog table in their next album.  In my opinion it can only help to enhance what Gerald and Jason have already done and in such a minimal amount of time.  It is quite difficult to believe that they have only been around since December of 2015
I cannot say enough wonderful things about "Are We Lost".  You will just have to do yourselves a favor and check them out on your own.  I know that they have a few shows coming up. If you are in the Nashville area, go out and support them!  I know I would if I could!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have thoughts? Leave them here!